The kitchen sink has been broken for a while. I’m not sure how it happened but it appears that it rusted to the point where it just broken. From the looks of things, fixing it didn’t appear to be a hard job. From what I could tell, it was just a matter of removing the old strainer and installing a new one. Of course, it helps if you have the right tools.
I recommended to my roommate that she use the sink as little as possible but if she needed to use the sink, I recommended not letting the dish pile up. If you use a little bit of water, it’ll be fine because the new pipes that I temporarily installed would catch most of the water. But if she lets the dish pile up to the point where she’ll be running the water for a longer time, it’s going to leak. But of course, she lets the dish pile up.
Once I cleared the sink of all the pots and pans, I got to work. First, I tried to remove the old strainer by remove the nut. Unfortunately, the nut didn’t want to unscrew itself. As I was turning the wrench, I kept slipping and nothing was moving. I got so fed up with the wrench not working that I eventually tried to pry the strainer off. I got this smart idea to use a flat head screw driver to pry the old on off. I managed to get part way through until I decided to give the wrench another go. This time, I properly adjusted and secure the wrench to the nut. It turned it counter clockwise and finally it budged.
Here’s what the old pieces looked like. You can see where it broke off. I don’t know how long ago this part was installed but if it rusted that much, it must have been installed when the house was built. It’s a trend in this house where metallic things crack.
A few weeks back I purchased the strainer and the pipe from Lowe’s but unfortunately, I didn’t have the tools to install those pieces. I was going to use an adjustable open ended wrench but it wasn’t wide enough which is why I had to go out and buy one. I had to go out and buy an adjustable slip-nut wrench from Canadian Tire which cost me about $15. There’s a good chance that I’ll probably use it a couple more times but for now, it’ll serve its purpose.
The new pieces that I bought do not require the use of the adjustable wrench to install. Everything could be tightened by hand, it was that simple. So if these pieces ever break, I can remove them without any tools.
Once everything was installed, it was a matter of testing it out and making sure that there were no leaks. So if you don’t see any leaks then everything is honky dory.