I’ve just received confirmation from McMaster stating that they are offering me admission for the September 2008 semester. It took a while for them to get back to me and I was starting to lose hope but I finally got a reply on the status of my application. Now I just have to wait until Friday to start registering for my courses.
Since September was just around the corner, I emailed one of my programming professors who is now taking care of the joint program and asked him about my application. According to his reply, he was supposed to sign something and had to request it from someone else. So this whole time, someone was holding onto my application and it has just been sitting there waiting for a signature. If I hadn’t email anyone to ask about it, chances are it would have been sitting there collecting dust if I hadn’t said anything.
I’ll be going back to school part time which means evening and weekend classes. The degree program should take me two years to complete if I pass everything. I’m hoping that I can handle the full load of full time work and part time school. It’s going to take a lot of concentrate to ensure that I stay focus and keep on the right path. If I start to slack off, there’s a good chance that I’ll fail.
I won’t be able to register for any classes until they’ve sent me the official offer letter. I’m not sure how long that will take to arrive in the mail but I’m hoping that it’ll be quick because classes start during the first week of September and I don’t want to miss out on anything.
Then there’s the matter of paying for it all. My workplace has a tuition reimbursement program but I’m still waiting for my manager to approve it. He said that my training request is a special case and needs approval of someone higher up. I’m not going to sit around and wait for someone’s approval to take school. I submitted the request way back in January and I haven’t received a single reply. I didn’t even getting a confirmation that the email was received. When I see my manager, I’ll ask and he’ll tell me verbally but that’s not good enough for me. It’s very unprofessional for someone in a managerial position to take their time and sit on a request when timing is an issue. I could have been attending school since February if everything was processed properly. Whether they pay for it or not, I’m continuing with my degree.
I’m very anxious to get things started but I might not feel that way once school starts. I hope to keep this enthusiastic momentum going until the end of the semester. It’s been about three years since I’ve been in school so I’ll have to get used to it. It does feel a little odd being 27 years old and still attending school but I have a goal that I’m trying to reach and I won’t let anything stop me.